Professor of Stewardship, Director of the Center for Biblical Stewardship, and Bobby L. and Janis Eklund Chair of Stewardship
FORMAL EDUCATION & ORDINATION
- Doctor of Philosophy Stewardship Studies in Non-profit Leadership at Union Institute & University, Cincinnati, Ohio. Fall 2002. Dissertation focus on “Establishing the Literature Base for the Emerging Field of Steward Leadership Studies” was published in “New Directions for Philanthropy,” No. 40, Jossey-Bass, summer 2003.
Post-doctorate hours of continuing graduate-level coursework through Indiana University in nonprofit leadership and philanthropic studies.
- Master of Arts M.A. in Philanthropic Studies: Indiana University. 1995. First graduate from IU’s acclaimed National Center on Philanthropy. Writing and research on teaching and study of stewardship. Focus: “Emerging Seminary Graduates and Christian Collegiate Leaders Entering Ministry Non-profit Leadership.”
- Master of Science M.S. in Higher Education Leadership: Indiana University. 1985. Program focus: Private, Christian higher education leadership and administration. Writing and research on non-profit organizational dynamics as they affect private liberal arts higher education.
- Bachelor of Arts Business & Ministry Leadership: Taylor University. 1983. America’s oldest evangelical undergraduate university. Completed studies while managing part time employment. Elected president of 65-member student government.
- Pastor Ordination September 1998. Member: ECA: The Evangelical Church Alliance.
Annual Review Presiding Committee Chair: The late Dr. Kenneth Kantzer, Emeritus. Founder: Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. Dr. Kantzer was a personal friend and mentor. Kantzer served as second editor of “Christianity Today” magazine. The ECA has been in existence since 1887.
Collegiate Teaching And Professional / Corporate Training
- Dean and Founder: The Meyer Institute for Steward Leadership: 1998-2004. Founded in 2000 with The Christian Stewardship Association (CSA). Steward Leadership school for stewardship education based on Biblical principles. Launched in 1998. Outcomes: 1,000 graduates. A beginning lead endowment and certification program grew out of the program. To date, more than 535 organizations have sponsored students to attend.
- Leadership Faculty: Christian Stewardship Association: 1996-2004. Lead instructor of coursework on Biblical resource development, and numerous executive courses in non-profit capacity building. Invited to teach denomination leadership, para-church ministry leadership, grant makers, and community foundation leaders across the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, and South Africa.
- Instructor: Undergraduate and graduate business and professional courses for Indiana Wesleyan University’s L.E.A.P. program, Franklin College, and University of Cincinnati. Taught courses in such subjects as marketing, human resources management, entrepreneurship, and managerial leadership. Designed and led training for numerous colleges, universities, professional associations, and conferences (see Presentations and Training).
- Director of Experiential Education / Practicum, Internship program: Internship and cooperative education programs at a private college, and university. Taught career planning at undergraduate, graduate, and corporate levels at a state university.
- Led administrative functions and budget monitoring in Student Service divisions of private and public universities while carrying out instructional responsibilities for a liberal arts college, and day and evening programs of business, and engineering colleges of universities.
Nonprofit Management And Consulting
- Served as president of CSA, a national, non-profit association reaching out to Christian leaders across 51 evangelical denominations, 5,000 para-church organizations, and 25 national Christian para-church associations. Before serving as president, served as chief operating officer, and vice president of education and membership. Directed a 200+ person annual institute, annual 1,000+ person national convention, educational roundtables for Christian leaders with partner national associations. Directed a team of three internal management and four outsourced employees.
- Midwest director of Overseas Theological Council, the leading international, non-profit organization brokering fund development to support accredited theological education in the non-western world. Responsibilities included raising major gifts and annual funding from individuals, foundations, and corporate constituencies located in a six-state, Midwest area. Responsible to lead international education trips with investment partners.
- Consulting assignments for The Stewardship Alliance (Christian Wealth Planning Association), Southern Baptist Convention’s “CrossOver Project” with The Sunday School Board (now LifeWay Christian Resources), COMHINA, The Procter & Gamble Company, Blue Cross Blue Shield Insurance, Dow Corning, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, Super Slow Zone, The Antonelli Art Institute, The Federal Bureau of Investigation. and the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency.
- Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Professor and Bobby L. and Janis Eklund Chair of Stewardship. Appointed, December 2006. Elected to faculty, April 2007.
Director of The Center for Biblical Stewardship: merged in January 2007 with Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. The Center is the largest, and lead stewardship research, historical bureau in the United States today serving 50 evangelical denominations. The Center has on-loan the largest stewardship library, stewardship-related art and Christian giving artifact collections in the world.
- The Center for Biblical Stewardship. May 2004 – December 2006. Executive director of this 501(c)(3) organization for stewardship scholarship/research. Ten member Board of Regents. The Center is third-part Certified as an Authorized Provider of continuing education units by the International Association for Continuing Education (IACET) in Washington, DC. Dean of the Institute for Biblical Stewardship Studies, and Life Stewardship Institute sponsored by The Stewardship Alliance (TSA). The Life Stewardship Institute is a strategic partner with the Center.
- The Christian Stewardship Association. 1996-2004. President: September 1999-May 2004; Chief Operating Officer: December 1998-September 1999. Vice President of Education, 1996- December 1998.
- Overseas Council International for Theological Education Advancement. 1994-1996. Midwest Director for international seminary development. International developer and educator of funding to support nationals on evangelical seminary campuses involved in theological leadership training in the two-thirds world.
- Franklin College. 1990-1994. 1,000 student private college. Instructional responsibilities and administrative leadership of the Career and Professional Development Department in the Student Services Division.
- University of Cincinnati. 1986-1990. 37,000 student public, urban university. Instructional responsibilities and leadership in the Student Services Division. Specific instructional assignments seconded by U.C. Colleges of Business and Engineering..
- Indiana University. 1984-1986. State-wide public university with eight campus locations. Administrative responsibilities for student leadership and development at the East Campus, and peer leadership consultant to seven of the eight campuses.
PROFESSIONAL PRESENTATIONS AND EDUCATIONAL TRAINING
- Kingdom Advisors: formerly Christian Financial Professionals Network (Ron Blue) February 2007. Plenary session.
- The Stewardship Films Project: grant director and project leader, 2005.
- Baptist General Convention of Texas: Training assignments for 190+ Texas-based associations representing 4000+ churches.
- Southern Baptist Convention: Southeastern Stewardship Convention, 2007, 2004.
Salvation Army National Stewardship Congress, plenary session 2004.
- Salvation Army Officer Candidate College, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003.
- Evangelical Union: United Kingdom Non-Governmental Organization Conference, 2002.
- Christian Management Association 1999, 2002.
- Canadian Council for Christian Charities, 2002.
- Evangelical Church Alliance, 1999, 2000, 2004.
- Association of Church Missions Councils. 1998, 1999.
- The Gathering (Christian Foundation Conference), 1998.
- Association of Christian Schools International, 1997, 1998, 2003.
- Accrediting Association of Bible Colleges Convention, 1998, 2003.
- North American Conference on Christian Philanthropy, 1998.
- Royal Treasure (Christian Women’s Philanthropy Guild) National Conference, 1998, 2001.
- Africa Evangelical Association International Conference-Johannesburg, 1997.
- World Evangelical Fellowship (now Alliance) - Vancouver, British Columbia, 1997.
- National Religious Broadcasters Association, 1997, 1999.
- John Perkins Christian Community Development Association. 1996, 1997.
- National Association Of Evangelicals, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003.
HONORS, AWARDS, PUBLICATIONS & RESEARCH
- “The Literature Base for the Field of Steward Leadership Studies” Giving Magazine, Fall 2007
- “Non-profit Capacity Building.” Chapter 4, book 40, in “New Directions In Philanthropy,” Summer 2003. Jossey-Bass Press.
- Finance & Administration Committee, NAE Board of Directors, 1999-2004.
- Chairman’s Board-Overseas Council for Theological Education, 1998-present.
- National Advisory Board - Royal Treasure, Christian Women’s Philanthropy Guild, 1998-2000.
- “Non-profit Management Education: A U.S. & World Perspective.” Monograph of research on stakeholders views of Christian nonprofit leadership education, 1996.
- “Marketing & Non-profit Development In Minority Higher Education,” a publication of the Council for the Advancement & Support of Education (C.A.S.E.), 1996.
- “Three Impending Impacts On Philanthropy by Minorities,” a publication of the Indiana University Center on Philanthropy, 1993.
- “Effects Of Academic Major, Leadership, And Career Maturity,” NASPA Journal, Jan. 1992.
- “Breakthrough! Marketing Your Academic Office Career Program,” Journal of Career Planning And Employment, winter 1993.
- Professional-of-the-Year, NASPA Higher Education Association, 1991.
- Shingleton Research Award, sponsored by the Midwest Division, CPC Foundation.
- 1987 National Steele Research Award, sponsored by the CPC Foundation-published.
- Faculty/Administration Service Award, Indiana University, East Campus, 1986.
LEGAL WITNESS ASSIGNMENT
- 2002-2003 court case: One of five expert witnesses selected by plaintiffs to extensively research and testify in federal district court in Beverly Hills, Pasadena, Calif., in the case of Worldwide Church of God vs. Philadelphia Church of God. Plaintiffs prevailed in September 2003.
SEMINARY LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT TRAVEL
- Extensive travel, primarily to evangelical seminaries on educational assignments in South Africa, United Kingdom, Canada, Central & South America, and Caribbean-West Indies.
- Christian Stewardship Association, 1989-2004.
- Association for Research on Voluntary and Non-profit Organizations, 1996- 2006.
- National Association of Evangelicals, 1985-present.
- World Evangelical Alliance, 1997- present.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS SERVICE: CURRENT AND PAST
- Board of Directors: Current: Evangelical Church Alliance: Standards Committee Chairman.
- Board of Directors: Current: The Timothy Plan, International Mutual Funds Group.
- Board of Directors: 1999 – 2004: National Association Of Evangelicals; served on Finance Council, 1997-2003.
- Chairman’s Executive Council: Overseas Council for Theological Education, 1997-2003.
- Executive Council of the Taylor University National Alumni Council, 1990-1994.
The gallery is empty.