Professor of Archaeology and Biblical Backgrounds, Chair of Archaeology Department
Dr. Davis is an archaeologist with more than three decades of field experience in Cyprus, Egypt, Jordan, and the United States. Before coming to the seminary, he served as Director of the Cyprus American Archaeological Research Institute (CAARI) in Nicosia, Cyprus, one of the premier archaeological research centers in the Eastern Mediterranean. A specialist in the New Testament world of Paul, Dr. Davis currently directs the SWBTS-funded excavations at the early Christian site of Kourion (Cyprus) which includes SWBTS archaeology students as part of the research team. Dr. Davis has lectured extensively in the U.S., Europe, the Middle East, Asia, Africa, and Australia. He and his wife Jenny are members of Church of Christ the King (SBC) in Fort Worth.
Recent publications include:
- Books and Monographs
- Cyprus and the Balance of Empires: from Justinian I to the Coeur de Lion. Co-editor with Charles Stewart, Annemarie Carr. CAARI Monograph Series, Boston: ASOR 2014.
- Eurasian Prehistory Vol 10 and 11, no. 1-2 Co-editor with Albert Ammerman. Krakow: Jagiellonian University. 2013-2014.
- Shifting Sands: The Rise and Fall of Biblical Archaeology. New York: Oxford Press 2004.
- How Kittim became Rome: Daniel 11:30 and the Importance of Cyprus in the Sixth Syrian War, with Benjamin Scolnic ZAW 2015 127. 2. pp. 304-319.
- “Cypriot Archaeology and the Great War” The Ancient Near East Today June 2014.
- “History of Research” in The Oxford Handbook of the Archaeology of the Levant. Ed. by M. Schaar and A. Killebrew. Oxford: Oxford University Press. pp. 35-43. 2014.
- “A Brief History of Byzantine Archaeological Research on Cyprus” with Charles Stewart in Cyprus and the Balance of Empires: from Justinian I to the Coeur de Lion. Ed. By Charles Stewart, Thomas Davis, Annemarie Carr. CAARI Monograph Series, Boston: ASOR 2014. pp. 17-28.
- “Ethnoarchaeology” The Oxford Encyclopedia of the Bible and Archaeology. Ed by Master. New York: Oxford University Press. 2013. pp. 381-385.
- “A New Window on Byzantine Kourion” Cahiers du Centre d’Etudes Chypriotes 43, 2013 pp. 103-116.
- “Chronological Framework” Eurasian Prehistory 10, no.1-2. 2013. pp 31-44.
- “Saint Paul on Cyprus: Archaeology and the Transformation of an Apostle” Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith Vol. 64.4 pp. 230-242, 2012.
- “Levant” and “Cyprus” in The Oxford Companion to Archaeology. 2nd edition ed. by Neil Silberman. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 2012.
- “Earthquakes and the Crises of Faith: Social Transformation in Late Antique Cyprus” Buried History 2010 Vol. 46. pp. 3-14. 2011.