Texas Gov. Rick Perry tours Dead Sea Scrolls Exhibition in Fort Worth

FORT WORTH, Texas (SWBTS) – Governor Rick Perry visited the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Bible exhibition on the campus of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth on Oct. 15. Perry invited more than 20 prominent North Texas pastors to join him for lunch and a tour of the exhibition.
 
Perry was impressed by the tour and tweeted, “Great Isaiah Scroll over 22' long part of Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit at SW Theological Seminary, Ft Worth...excellent!”
 
Southwestern Seminary owns more Dead Sea Scroll fragments than any institution outside of Jordan and Israel. The six-month exhibition in the MacGorman Performing Arts Center features more than 20 scroll fragments, including Southwestern’s collection as well as scroll fragments and artifacts related to the discovery on loan from Israel, Jordan and private collections. Many of the fragments, including a large piece from the book of Genesis, have never been on public display before. The exhibition, which ends on Jan. 13, 2013, has drawn thousands of visitors to Fort Worth.
 
Additionally, the exhibition includes a simulated archaeology dig site, which is a scaled replica of the ancient site of Qumran near the Dead Sea where the scrolls were found. The Smithsonian Institution donated 20,000 pounds of pottery sherds, which can be taken home by children who unearth them as they dig. Also, a weekly lecture series featuring biblical and archaeological scholars from around the world will take place throughout the exhibition. Additional details can be found at www.seethescrolls.com.
 
The Dead Sea Scrolls are arguably the greatest archaeological manuscript find of the 20th century. The first discoveries were made in 1947 and sparked a nearly 10-year search in caves overlooking the Dead Sea near Qumran in what is now Israel. The scrolls date back to the second century B.C. and contain biblical manuscripts, biblical manuscripts with commentary, apocryphal manuscripts and extra-biblical literature.

Established 1908 Fort Worth, Texas