And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man. Luke 2:52
Each child is a valued individual created by God and is worthy of understanding and respect. Our focus is the development of the total child which includes areas of physical, mental, social, emotional, and spiritual growth. The child has needs and characteristics in each area and develops at his/her own rate. Through appropriately developed daily lesson plans, teachers guide growth and development in these areas.
A child learns by doing and experiencing. Children learn through guided exploration and self discovery. A child's planned and spontaneous play affords opportunities for learning. Play that uses the five senses of sight, sound, taste, smell, and touch cooperates with the way God created children to learn. Available choices in the selection of activities contributes to the child's learning.
Parents are the children's primary teachers and major influence in their lives. Teachers and parents cooperate for teaching to have its optimal effect.
The purposes of the Naylor Children's Center are undergirded with a strong Christian distinction and include interaction between children, students, teachers and parents. All work together to:
- Give all children an opportunity to develop physically, mentally, emotionally, socially and spiritually to the best of their ability.
- Provide opportunities for parents/adults to observe children at work under trained leadership.
Part-time care is offered for children of students and working parents who are members of the seminary family. The center is open on Tuesday and Thursday from 8 am-1pm
Children 8 weeks through 5 years old will be accepted in the center on a space available basis. If space is not available immediately, a child may be placed on a waiting list. If space is available, the parents must complete the following steps for enrollment:
- Arrange for an interview with the center director
- Complete all registration forms
- Pay the registration and supply fees and first week's tuition
The Naylor Children's Center is the home for our Mother's Day Out program and is under the direction of the Terry School of Church and Family Ministries at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. The one-level, 27,000-square-foot building is designed for flexibility, efficiency and innovation. It is designed to provide care and instruction for preschool-age children from 8 weeks to 5 years old.
Special features of the building include:
- Large classrooms designed especially for preschoolers
- Spacious indoor playroom for recreation and special activities
- Fenced–in, outdoor playground equipped with creative play equipment for each age group