W. Michael Wilson
Professor of Pastoral and Applied Ministry, Associate Dean of Applied Ministries, Chair of the Applied Ministries Division, Fred M. and Edith M. Chair of Prayer and Spiritual Formation
Dr. W. Michael Wilson has served as professor of pastoral and applied ministry as well as the associate dean of applied ministry in the School of Theology since 2003.
Prior to coming to Southwestern, Dr. Wilson was vice president for institutional advancement at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Kansas City, Mo. He also taught adjunctively at the Northeast Baptist School of Ministry, Baltimore, Maryland and Wayland Baptist University.
After completing a Bachelor’s degree from Hardin-Simmons University, Dr. Wilson then earned a Master of Divinity at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. Further, he completed the Doctorate of Philosophy from the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Ky.
Current research interests include leadership issues for the broader church and denominational community, disciple-making and church health assessment. He frequently serves as a consultant to local churches, associations, state conventions, and national SBC agencies and boards.
Dr. Wilson draws from a deep well of personal and practical experience for his class room presentations:
- While still in college he served as a BSU Summer Missionary in Kenya, East Africa.
- His professional experience includes numerous local church staff positions, including an associate pastor of the second largest church in the SBC at the time.
- State Director of Evangelism in Colorado and Maryland/Delaware conventions.
- Director of evangelism and special projects for the Southern Baptist International Mission Board.
- Twice elected president of both the Colorado Baptist Convention and the North American Directors of Evangelism.
- Served on numerous national, state, and associational committees, boards, and task forces.
- Preaching/mission assignments to over four dozen countries and all fifty states.
- While a pastor he preached weekly one-hour television and radio programs.
- Owner/Broker of a Commercial and Residential Real Estate Franchise.
- CEO/Co-Founder of an Estate Planning and Trusts Marketing organization.
- Since 1979 served as interim pastor for over thirty churches of various sizes in Colorado, Virginia, Maryland, and Texas.
Dr. Wilson is married to Olivia, and they have two living children and three grandchildren.
Other Resources for W. Michael Wilson