Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

Who is eligible for campus housing and when can they apply?

Campus housing is reserved for current students who are enrolled in six or more hours of regular on-campus class (internet and i-term classes do not count).  One may apply for housing ONLY after receiving approval from the Admissions (new students) or Registrar (returning students) Office. Online applications to become a student at Southwestern are available here.

How do I apply for housing?

Once a student has recived approval from the appropriate office (see question above), he or she may submit a housing application.  Click here for additional information. 

Can I take a tour of campus housing?

The admissions office offers full tours of the campus on most Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays throughout the year. A full tour includes a walking campus tour, a housing tour, and an opportunity to visit with school Ambassadors and faculty members (Wednesday tours will also attend chapel during the semester). The housing office highly recommends that prospective students take this tour. For more details on taking a tour click on the Visit Our Campus link on the left hand toolbar or click here.

How are assignments made?
  1. Housing applications are handled in the order in which they are received. A valid application must include the deposit.  Note: For the best availability, prospective residents are encouraged to make application early, preferably four to six months prior to the requested move-in date.  However, all eligible students are encouraged to apply at their earliest convenience, even if it is less than four months away from their requested arrival date.
  2. A confirmation e-mail will be sent once the application and deposit have been received.
  3. Assignments are made 30 to 60 days in advance of the requested move-in date.  Note: All assignments are subject to the eligibility of the applicant for and availability of the type housing requested.
  4. While every effort is given to make assignments according to the preferences listed, there is no guarantee that one's first, second, or third choice can be filled due to potential limitations of eligibility or availability or both.
  5. An assignment e-mail will be sent once the assignment is made.  Applicants are asked to respond to this e-mail by phone within two to three business days.
  6. At the time of confirmation an appointment (i.e., date and time) is made to sign the lease and pick-up keys.
  7. Rent begins on the date the keys are received and is pro-rated for the first month (based on a 30 day rental rate table).
Is the housing deposit refundable?

A deposit of $150.00 must accompany the application. The deposit is refundable when the reservation is cancelled at least thirty days prior to the move-in date or when the tenant moves out after giving a thirty day move out notice.  The refund is also subject to additional cleaning/damage charges incurred upon move out.  A list of move-out guidelines can be found on our website as well.

How is rent structured?

Monthly rent payment is due on or before the first day of each month. The first month's rent is prorated on a per day basis beginning on the date of occupancy. Rent continues as long as the tenant has a key (i.e., possession of the property).  To view the various rental rates, please visit the Housing Rental Rates Page.

When are keys given out?

Housing keys will be supplied when the lease is signed on the day of occupancy. Replacements for lost keys are available only through the Housing Office with a $5.00 per key charge. Keys are not to be duplicated by tenant.

Can I get keys after normal business hours or on a Weekend?
  • General Housing:  After-hour and weekend key pick-up is not available for General Housing (apartments, duplexes, and houses).
  • Residence Halls:  After-hour and weekend key pick-up is available to students moving into a residence hall who make advanced request.  However, we recommend that students plan to move in during normal business hours if at all possible. 
Can residents have pets?

The only area in which pets are permitted is a designated area of Carroll Park. Each pet must be pre-approved through the housing office. Pets in all other housing areas are not allowed, even temporarily, anywhere within the Leased Premises or the Housing Community. This rule also applies to Carroll Park for animals that have not been pre-approved. Click here for more information about applying for the pet area in Carroll Park.

Note: Service animals are not considered to be pets. A service animal is any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability. Service animals perform some of the functions and tasks that the individual with a disability cannot perform for him or herself.

How much notice is required before moving out?

A 30-day written notice to the housing office is required for move-out. Graduating students may remain in their housing unit approximately two weeks following graduation and only need to give a 14-day notice. Failure to provide adequate notice may result in the loss of the housing deposit.

Residence Halls (Dorms)

If I am single do I have to live in the dorm?
  • Students who are under 20 years of age and unmarried are required to live in the dormitory or at home.  Those in this category living more than 50 miles from the main campus are required to live in the residence hall.
  • Single students who are 20 and older are eligible to apply for a one- or two-bedroom unit (excluding Student Village Townhomes which are reserved for families).
How does one go about getting a roommate for an apartment?

The housing office does not assign roommates for apartments. However, students interested in rooming together with other students of the same sex can put their name on a list through the housing office. The housing office will then provide contact information to those who are looking for a roommate. All roommates must meet the eligibility requirements for student housing.

What should I bring to the residence hall?

Each room is equipped with a bed, desk, chair, dresser, closet, and bookshelf for each resident. We have compiled a list of suggested items to bring. You may access this list by clicking here.

Do the dorms have resident assistants (RAs)?

Yes. Each dorm has three resident assistants (RAs) and one set of dorm parents. RAs live in centrally located rooms on each floor. They plan a variety of activities throughout the semester to promote student life and community within the residence hall. One RA is on duty each evening. Schedules are posted throughout the building. 

Each residence hall also has a set of dorm parents. The dorm parents (a married couple) live in an apartment within the residence hall. They provide oversight for the RAs and are available to the residents in the event of an emergency or when an RA is not available.

Where can I find additional information about the College at Southwestern?

An extensive list of FAQs has been produced by the College at Southwestern. We encourage you to take a few minutes to look through it by clicking here.

Established 1908 Fort Worth, Texas