At the beginning of Fall 2013, there were 104 full-time members of the faculty of Southwestern Seminary:
Our professors freely express a common faith with the Southern Baptist Convention by affirming the Baptist Faith and Message 2000, a faithful and foundational interpretation of God's word which we seek to promote and extend in faithfulness to the calling of Jesus Christ. We support the enriching of this faith through further study of the content and application of Scripture, and the extension of this faith through the ministry of discipling and teaching the nations. A sampling of the scholars on faculty includes:
Dr. David Allen, professor of preaching, director of the Southwestern Center for Expository Preaching, George W. Truett Chair of Ministry, dean of School of Theology (BA, Criswell College; MDiv, Southwestern Seminary, PhD – Humanities, University of Texas at Arlington). Publications: Hebrews: New American Commentary Series, B&H Academic, 2010; Lukan Authorship of Hebrews, B&H Academic, 2010.
Dr. Terry Wilder, professor of New Testament (MA, Dallas Baptist University; MDiv, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary; PhD-New Testament Exegesis and Interpretation, University of Aberdeen, Scotland). Selected Publications: Entrusted with the Gospel: Paul's Theology in the Pastoral Epistles, B&H Academic, 2010; Faithful to the End: An Introduction to Hebrews through Revelation, B&H Academic, 2007.
Dr. Richard Ross, professor of student ministry; assistant dean, division of Human Growth and Development; J.M. Price Chair of Religious Education (BA, Hardin-Simmons University, M(RE), PhD, Southwestern Seminary). Spokesperson, “True Love Waits” campaign, 1993-present.
Dr. Terri Stovall, dean of women’s programs and associate professor of women’s ministries (BA, Corpus Christi State University; MA(RE), PhD, Southwestern Seminary). Co-author of Women Leading Women: The Biblical Model for the Church, B&H, 2009.
Dr. David Thye (pronounced “Tee”), professor of church music and Robert L. Burton Chair of Conducting. (BA, University of Sioux Falls, South Dakota; MM, DMA, University of Missouri-Kansas City Conservatory of Music). Conductor in residence, MidAmerica Productions, New York City, New York, 2005 – present.
*Indicates degrees that are available fully online.
**Indicates degrees offered both on campus and fully online.
|Bachelor's (Ft. Worth only)||$235/hour||$470/hour|
|Ft. Worth Master's||$200/hour||$400/hour|
|Non-Ft. Worth Master's||$235/hour||$470/hour|
|School of Church Music Tuition||$215/hour||$430/hour|
|Online ($270 Internet Registration fee per class)||$200/hour||$400/hour|
The J.W. MacGorman Chapel (opened December 2011) houses worship services, commencement ceremonies and conferences. The 106,000 square-foot Spanish-style building also has multi-purpose rooms and space to welcome the seminary’s many friends and special guests.
The Riley Center (opened 2001) is a high-tech conference center with hotel-style accommodations, dining facilities and boardrooms.
The A. Webb Roberts Library (opened 1982) is one of the largest theological research libraries in the United States. More than 445,000 items are housed there. The library also houses the Tandy Archaeological Museum containing artifacts from the ancient biblical city of Timnah.
The Kathryn Sullivan Bowld Music Library (opened 1992) contains one of the world’s largest collections of sacred music.
The Myra K. and J. Roy Slover Recreation/Aerobics Center (opened 1978) houses state-of-the-art Olympic weightlifting equipment, an indoor swimming pool, racquetball and basketball courts, indoor and outdoor jogging tracks and tennis courts.
The Horner Homemaking House (opened 2009) serves as an educational building for the homemaking concentration in the undergraduate program. The house boasts a complete kitchen, textile lab, guest housing and a library.
Free-standing, degree-granting school for theological studies in Houston.
Conveniently located two miles from Hobby Airport, off I-45.
Facilities include library, classrooms, 2,500-seat sanctuary, gymnasium and administrative offices.
Southwestern Seminary has trained and sent out more than 43,000 graduates to serve in local churches and mission fields around the world. In 1908, B.H. Carroll established the seminary on the campus of Baylor University. It was moved to its current location on Seminary Hill in Fort Worth in 1910 and was placed under the direction of the Southern Baptist Convention in 1925. Paige Patterson was elected as the eighth president of the seminary in 2003.
Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary assists the churches of the Southern Baptist Convention through the biblical education of God-called men and women for their respective ministries, which fulfill the Great Commission and glorify God.
The motto “Preach the Word, Reach the World” captures for a new generation of students the historic pledge of Southwestern Seminary to serve both Southern Baptist churches and a lost world by equipping ministers for their God-ordained task.
For more information, please contact:Steven Smith, Vice President for Student Services and Communications
Last Updated: 9/18/2013