FORT WORTH, Texas (SWBTS) -- Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary and Chesapeake Energy Corporation have partnered to save approximately $75,000 annually in water consumption. Chesapeake recently dug a well and constructed a pond near the seminary’s natural gas well to help alleviate water consumption from the city’s water supply.
“Southwestern Seminary has formed a relationship with Chesapeake Energy that will benefit both parties for years to come,” said Tim Leitch, associate vice president for business administration at Southwestern.
Chesapeake will use water from the pond for hydraulic fracturing and the seminary will use water from the pond for irrigation purposes. Although paid for by Chesapeake, the well and pond are under the ownership of the seminary.
Leitch added, “I have been pleased to work with Chesapeake and with their attitude toward working together to solve problems and minimize the impact on our current operations. This project provides benefits that will support Southwestern Seminary in training men and women for ministry for many years ahead.”
Southwestern, which sits on the Barnett Shale, signed a contract in 2006 to drill for natural gas, which will potentially bring in millions of dollars to the seminary. The Barnett Shale is a geological formation of bedrock that stretches across more than 5,000 square miles and at least 17 North Texas counties. Hydraulic fracturing methods use water and sand under intense pressure to break the Barnett Shale, releasing the gas.
Southwestern has historically been one of the largest water users in Fort Worth, but by using the pond water, the seminary estimates saving nearly 28 million gallons of water per year.
About Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
Southwestern Seminary celebrates its centennial in 2008. Since its founding, the seminary has trained and sent out over 40,000 graduates to serve in local churches and mission fields around the world. In 1908, B.H. Carroll established the seminary on the campus of Baylor University. It was moved to its current location on Seminary Hill in Fort Worth in 1910 and was placed under the direction of the Southern Baptist Convention in 1925. Paige Patterson was elected as the eighth president of the seminary in 2003.
For more information, contact:
Dr. Thomas White, Vice President for Student Services and Communications
Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
817.923.1921 ext. 7300