First Chair of Stewardship to be installed at Southwestern

FORT WORTH, Texas (SWBTS)-Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary will inaugurate the Bobby L. and Janis Eklund Chair of Stewardship during its chapel service, Nov. 7. It is the first chair of stewardship in a Southern Baptist Seminary, and Scott Preissler, professor of stewardship, will be installed into it.

Preissler is executive director of the Center for Biblical Stewardship located at Southwestern Seminary, which is the official, authorized provider of certified stewardship continuing education units (CEU’s) by The International Association for Continuing Education and Training. “The center has on-loan the largest stewardship library, stewardship-related art and Christian giving artifact collections in the world and makes available new stewardship resources through its Internet delivery system,” said Preissler.

Preissler was dean and founder of The Meyer Institute for Stewardship Leadership, which trains more than 200 leaders per year in stewardship studies. He has a bachelor’s in business and ministry leadership from Taylor University in Indiana, a Master of Science in higher education leadership and a Master of Arts in philanthropic studies and nonprofit leadership from Indiana University, and a Ph.D. in stewardship studies and nonprofit leadership from Union Institute & University in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Bobby Eklund has served in ministry for 55 years and is the president of Eklund Stewardship Ministries, which serves churches through developing capital fund campaigns. Additionally, he serves as the stewardship consultant for the Southern Baptist of Texas Convention and as a part-time professor of church stewardship and development for Luther Rice Seminary.

After pastoring churches in Texas for 30 years, Eklund joined the evangelism division of the Baptist General Convention of Texas, and in 1991, he became the director of the Church Stewardship Department. Under his leadership, the department raised approximately $250 million for church building projects.


About Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary

Southwestern Seminary celebrates its centennial in 2008. Since its founding, the seminary has trained and sent out over 40,000 graduates to serve in local churches and mission fields around the world. In 1908, B.H. Carroll established the seminary on the campus of Baylor University. It was moved to its current location on Seminary Hill in Fort Worth in 1910 and was placed under the direction of the Southern Baptist Convention in 1925. Paige Patterson was elected as the eighth president of the seminary in 2003.

For more information, contact:
Dr. Thomas White, Vice President for Student Services and Communications
Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
817.923.1921 ext. 7300
Email: twhite@swbts.edu
Web: www.swbts.edu

Established 1908 Fort Worth, Texas