New chapel named in honor of distinguished professor

FORT WORTH, Texas (SWBTS) -- Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary has named its new chapel the J.W. "Jack" MacGorman Chapel in honor of the distinguished professor emeritus of New Testament.  Harold and Dottie Riley, who gave the lead gift for construction of the chapel, chose to honor Dr. MacGorman for his steadfast friendship, passion for God's word and humble dedication to the Lord’s work.
 
Chapel construction remains on schedule for the dedication celebration on Dec. 1, 2011. Southwestern invites everyone to this joyful celebration of God’s goodness and dedication of the building to the Lord’s purposes.
 
“Few names in the 100-year history of Southwestern Seminary have been any more prominently or effectively associated with Southwestern than Dr. and Mrs. J.W. MacGorman,” President Paige Patterson said. “For this reason, and many more, Southwestern is delighted to announce that the new chapel will carry their name.”
 
“Baptists have always been about the task of honoring, reading and expounding the New Testament.  As a professor of New Testament and Greek for more than 50 years, Dr. MacGorman became the epitome of what this seminary is about. But “Dr. Jack” also excelled beyond the classroom. For example, he is a student favorite because he always had time for them and always encouraged them in their studies and in their ministries. 
 
“Harold Riley, a major supporter and friend of Southwestern recalled the impact of Dr. MacGorman on the life of his father, Ray Riley, and on himself as a teenager growing up on the campus and made the suggestion that the chapel be named for this wonderful New Testament professor.  No more salubrious suggestion could have been possible.”
 
Dr. MacGorman completed his Bachelor of Divinity (equivalent to the Master of Divinity) and his Doctor of Theology degrees at Southwestern by 1956. In 1948, he was added to the seminary’s faculty. For 56 years, he was active at the seminary as a student and professor. Even after his retirement in 2001, he stays connected to the life of the seminary, helping in classes and faithfully attending chapel services and other campus events. Southwestern honored him with a Distinguished Alumni Award in 1986 and the L.R. Scarborough Award in 2008.
 
For more information and to follow the live webcam of the construction, visit www.swbts.edu/newchapel.

Established 1908 Fort Worth, Texas