Vines and successor, Brunson, will highlight preaching conference

Mac Brunson, who will now succeed Jerry Vines as the pastor of First Baptist Church of Jacksonville, Fla., will be a featured speaker at the second annual Expository Preaching Workshop at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth, Texas, March 6-7.

Brunson’s invitation to the Jacksonville pulpit Feb. 19 was the first time in 65 years that the 28,000-member church has voted to call a pastor. Vines served there for 23 years, succeeding co-pastors Homer Lindsey Sr. and Homer Lindsey Jr. Brunson has served as the pastor of First Baptist Church of Dallas since 1999.

Vines, who announced his retirement in May 2005, will also be a featured speaker at the seminary’s expository preaching workshop. Vines will be discussing how to preach through the Book of Job. He will also speak in chapel March 7. The chapel service begins at 10:50 a.m. in Truett Auditorium.

Other special guests at the conference include Southwestern Seminary President Paige Patterson, O.S. Hawkins, president of GuideStone Financial Resources and a former pastor of First Baptist Dallas, and David Allen, dean of the seminary’s theology school and director of the Southwestern Center for Expository Preaching.

According to Thomas White, director of the Seminary’s Center for Leadership Development, the purpose of this year’s conference is not to defend the need for expository preaching, but to attempt to aid preachers in giving better expository sermons. Each of the special guests will present a sermon and discuss his method of preparation. There will also be a question and answer session after each sermon.

Southwestern Seminary faculty members Stephen Smith and Calvin Pearson will also speak at the event. Smith will speak on the elements of an expository sermon with an emphasis on application, while Pearson will speak on the art of illustrations.

For more information on the Southwestern Seminary Expository Preaching Workshop, log onto www.swbts.edu/center/conferences.cfm .

 

Established 1908 Fort Worth, Texas