Southwestern Seminary Day Proclamation
In honor of Southwestern’s 100-year anniversary in Fort Worth, the Fort Worth City Council issued the following proclamation:
WHEREAS, in1910, under the leadership of men like former Fort Worth Mayor W.D. Harris, citizens of Fort Worth raised $100,000 to relocate Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary from Waco, Texas, and to provide land, now known as Seminary Hill, for the construction of a building; and,
WHEREAS, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary relocated to Fort Worth, naming its first building Fort Worth Hall in honor of the city, and began classes on October 3, 1910; and,
WHEREAS, Southwestern Seminary has been a valuable institution to the city of Fort Worth and surrounding areas for 100 years by promoting Christian values and training students with outstanding character for service and charity in churches, hospitals, businesses, schools, ministries and other civic organizations; and,
WHEREAS, Southwestern Seminary embraces its Western heritage and home in Fort Worth, offering free events to the community such as campus picnics, wellness fairs, and the seminary's annual Christmas presentation of Handel's "Messiah."
We, the Fort Worth City Council, do hereby proclaim October 19, 2010, as
SOUTHWESTERN SEMINARY DAY
in the City of Fort Worth.