Computer and operating system requirements:
- COMPUTER: You will need a computer capable of accessing the Internet with a modern operating system. The complete list of operating systems supported with Blackboard, Southwestern's online learning software environment, can be found on the Student Technology page.
- INTERNET CONNECTION: Your computer will need a reliable wireleess or wired connection to the Internet.
Web browser requirements:
- WEB BROWSER: The complete list of supported web browsers compatible with Blackboard, Southwestern's online learning software environment, can be found on the Student Technology page.
Other software requirements
You will need the following software to open, read, protect, and create documents. You can follow this link for a complete list of Recommended Downloads.
- Microsoft Word is the official format for class-related documents. The catalog reads as follows: “All seminary students are expected to have regular access to a personal computer and an Internet provider. The seminary uses Microsoft Office, and all papers and documents will be submitted in appropriate formats.”
- There is a special requirement for students taking Internet classes: Students taking Internet courses are required to have Microsoft Word as their word processor.
- Students attending on-campus classes at the Fort Worth campus or at one of our satellite centers are required to have access to a word processor that allows them to submit documents in a format compatible with Microsoft Word.
- Free Adobe Acrobat Reader
This is a free tool that you can use to read documents that have been saved in the Adobe PDF format. This format retains the formatting of the document so that you see the documents exactly as the instructor designed it.
- Free PowerPoint viewer
This is a free tool that you can use to view Microsoft PowerPoint presentations. Many instructor uses PowerPoint for presentations.
- Virus Protection software
You must have virus protection software that has been updated with the latest anti-virus files. Students using Windows computers are not the only ones that get virus attacks. Students on Mac computers also need to have anti-virus protection.