Distinguished Research Professor of Theology
Jesse Hendley Chair of Biblical Theology
- Ph.D. University of Aberdeen, Scotland, 1988
- Th.D. Dallas Theological Seminary, 1979
- Th.M. Dallas Theological Seminary, 1976
- B.S. University of Texas, Austin, 1971
- First Baptist Church, Dallas, Texas
- Travis Avenue Baptist Church, Fort Worth, Texas, August 28, 2005
- Trinity Baptist Church, San Antonio, Texas, May 17, 1972
- Jesse Hendley Chair of Biblical Theology, 2014-Present
- Executive Vice President and Provost and Professor of Theology, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, 2002-Present
- Dean, School of Theology, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, 2002-2004
- Joseph Emerson Brown Professor of Christian Theology, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, 1996-2001
- Associate Vice President for Doctoral Studies, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, 1999-2001
- Director of Advanced Master of Divinity Studies, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, 2000-01
- Professor of Christian Theology, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, 1995-1996
- Department Chair, Christian Theology, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, 1996-99
- Visiting Professor of Historical Theology, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, 1993-94
- Professor of Systematic Theology, Dallas Theological Seminary, 1989-95
- Associate Professor of Systematic Theology, Dallas Theological Seminary, 1985-89
- Assistant Professor of Systematic Theology, Dallas Theological Seminary, 1980-85
- Evangelical Theological Society (National President, 2005) (President, Southwest Region, 1986-87)
- International Association for Patristic Studies
- North American Patristic Society
- Society of Biblical Literature
- National Association of Scholars
- Research Fellow, SBC Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission, 2014-Present
- Who’s Who in America, 2000
- Who’s Who in Religion, 1992
- Who’s Who in Science and Theology, 1992
- Rotary Foundation Graduate Fellowship for Studies, University of Aberdeen, 1978-79
- William M. Anderson Scholarship Award 1979 and Loraine Chafer Award in Systematic Theology 1976, Dallas Theological Seminary
- “A Critique of Gentry and Wellum’s, Kingdom through Covenant: A Hermeneutical-Theological Response.” The Master’s Seminary Journal 26, 2015.
- “The Coming Kingdom and Biblical Interpretation.” The Evangelical Review of Theology and Politics, vol. 2, 2014.
- “Israel and Hermeneutics.” In The People, the Land and the Future of Israel: A Biblical Theology of Israel and the Jewish People, Kregel, 2014
- “Premillennialism: A Progressive Dispensational Perspective.” Criswell Theological Review 11, 2013
- “The Day of the Lord: Theme and Pattern in Biblical Theology.” Bibliotheca Sacra 169, 2012.
- “The Day of the Lord and the Seventieth Week of Daniel.” Bibliotheca Sacra 169, 2012.
- “The Day of the Lord and the Rapture.” Bibliotheca Sacra 169, 2012.
- “The Day of the Lord Will Come: An Exposition of 2 Peter 3:1-18.” Bibliotheca Sacra 169, 2012.
- Journeys of Faith: Evangelicalism, Eastern Orthodoxy, Catholicism, and Anglicanism, contributor, Zondervan, 2012
- “Prepared for Prayer: The Psalms in Early Christian Worship.” In Forgotten Songs: Reclaiming the Psalms for Christian Worship, B & H Academic, 2012
- “The Kingdom that Comes with Jesus: Premillennialism and the Harmony of Scripture.” In Return of Christ: A Premillennial Perspective, B & H Academic, 2011.
- "Creedal Formation as Hermeneutical Development: A Re-examination of the Nicene Creed," Pro Ecclesia, forthcoming
- Three Views on the Rapture and the Tribulation, contributor, Zondervan, forthcoming
- Psalms 1-50. Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture. Co-editor, IVP, 2008
- "Faithfulness, A Prescription for Theology," Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, March 2006.
- “William J. Abraham’s Canon and Criterion in Christian Theology: From the Fathers to Feminism,” Churchman, 115/2, 2001
- “The Future of Israel as a Theological Question,” Journal of The Evangelical Theological Society , September 2001
- Progressive Dispensationalism , co-author, Victor Books, 1993; Baker, 2000
- Three Views On The Millenium and Beyond , contributor, Zondervan, 1999
- “Spiritual Formation in the Early Church,” The ChristianEducators Handbook on Spiritual Formation, Victor, 1994
- Dispensationalism, Israel and The Church: The Search For Definition , co-editor, Zondervan, 1992
- Spouse: Diane
- Children: Emily and Jonathan