Associate Professor of Systematic and Historical Theology
Dr. Cho (Ph.D. Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary) grew up in Seoul, Korea and migrated in his late 20s to Texas where his father pastored a Korean Baptist congregation. Dr. Cho has been teaching various subjects related to Systematic Theology, Historical Theology, Early Christianity, and Baptist Heritage at Southwestern since 2008. Dr. Cho’s research and writing have focused on the theology of Augustine, Pneumatology, Soteriology, and Baptist theology. Dr. Cho’s dissertation, St. Augustine’s Doctrine of Eternal Punishment: His Biblical and Theological Argument, was published (Edwin Mellen, 2010). He also published articles on Augustine’s Trinitarian theology and a patristic doctrine of justification by faith alone in Studia Patristica, The Westminster Theological Journal, Journal for Baptist Theology and Ministry, and Perichoresis. He also recently served as editor-in-chief and one of the writers of Baptist Systematic Theology in Korean (침례교 신학 총서, 요단/2016) and translated Restoring Integrity in Baptist Churches into Korean (21세기 교회의 순전함 회복: 침례교회를 중심으로, 누가/2016). He has a passion in providing theological education for missionaries and local leaders in mission fields. He has served as Central Asia regional coordinator of Global Theological Innovation at SWBTS since 2014. He is married to Kyunghee Cho, and they have two children: Stephanie and Daniel.
- Ph.D. in Systematic Theology, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, 2008.
- Extra Doctoral Work: University of Dallas(Irving, Texas), 2002: “Gregory of Nyssa on Deification” with David L. Balás, O.Cist.
- Th.M. Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, 1999.
- M.Div. Korea Baptist Theological Seminary, 1997.
- B.A. Soongsil University(Seoul, Korea), 1994.
- Baptist Systematic Theology written in Korean (침례교 신학 총서, 요단/2016)
- Translation of Restoring Integrity in Baptist Churches into Korean(21세기 교회의 순전함 회복: 침례교회를 중심으로, 누가/2016).
- St. Augustine’s Doctrine of Eternal Punishment: His Biblical and Theological Argument (Edwin Mellen/2010).
Recent Articles & Essays
- "The Eternal Relational Submission of the Son to the Father: A Critical reading of A Contemporary Evangelical Trinitarian Controversy on Augustine,” Studia Patristica vol. LXX (Forthcoming, 2017).
- “Huldrych Zwingli: A Christian Humanistic Educator,” in Historical and Theological Foundations of Religious Educators (Liberty University Press. 2016)
- “Divine Acceptance of Sinners: Augustine’s Doctrine of Justification,” Perichoresis (Dec. 2014):163-184.
- “Justification in Marius Victorinus’ Pauline Commentaries: Sola Fide, Sola Christo, and Sola Gloria Dei,” Journal for Baptist Theology & Ministry 11:1 (Spring, 2014): 3-25.
- "An Apology for Augustine's Filioque as a Hermeneutical Referent to the Immanent Trinity," Studia Patristica, LXIX (2013): 275-84.
- "Ambrosiaster on Justification by Faith Alone in His Commentaries on the Pauline Epistles," The Westminster Theological Journal 74:2 (Fall, 2012): 277-90.
- “God the Holy Spirit – His Deity and Personhood,” Journal of the Southern Baptist Convention (May, 2009).
- The Evangelical Theological Society
- North American Patristic Society
- Who's Who in America, 2010
- James Leo & Myrta Ann Garrett Historical Theology Award 1999, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary.
- Excellent Graduate Student Award 1997, Korea Baptist Theological Seminary.