Associate Professor of Church History
Dr. Caldwell has taught Church History and Historical Theology at Southwestern since 2004. His research focuses on the history and theology of Evangelicalism in North America, with specialties in American Awakenings and the theology of Jonathan Edwards. He has written Theologies of the American Revivalists: From Whitefield to Finney (IVP Academic, 2017), The Trinitarian Theology of Jonathan Edwards: Text, Context, and Application (with Steven Studebaker), and Communion in the Spirit: The Holy Spirit as the Bond of Union in the Theology of Jonathan Edwards. He has published articles in Calvin Theological Journal, Southwestern Journal of Theology, and Themelios. Raised in western New York, he was educated in the Chicagoland area, studying first at Northwestern University (B.A.) where he met his beautiful wife, Lisa, and later at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School (M.Div., Ph.D.). He is a long-time guitarist and enjoys running. He and Lisa have two teenage daughters.
- Ph.D. in Historical Theology: Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, 2003
- M.Div. & M.A. Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, 1997
- B.A. Northwestern University, 1991
- Core M.Div. Courses: Church History 1 & 2, Baptist Heritage, Hermeneutics
- Master's Level Electives: Jonathan Edwards, American Christianity, The Second Great Awakening, The Development of Doctrine
- Ph.D. Seminars: Jonathan Edwards, New England Puritanism, Historical Methodology, The Second Great Awakening
- Bachelor's Level Courses: The Enlightenment, The Nineteenth Century, Western Civilization 1, Survey of Church History
- Theology of the American Revivalists: The Theology of the Great Awakenings from Edwards to Finney. IVP Academic, 2017.
- With Steven M. Studebaker, The Trinitarian Theology of Jonathan Edwards: Text, Context, and Application. Ashgate, 2012.
- Communion in the Spirit: The Holy Spirit as the Bond of Union in the Theology of Jonathan Edwards. Paternoster Studies in Evangelical History and Thought. Paternoster, 2006.
Recent Articles & Essays
- "Charles Finney." In A Legacy of Preaching: Historical and Theological Introductions. Edited by Kevin King, Benjamin K. Forrest, Bill Curtis & Dwayne Milioni. Zondervan, forthcoming in Dec., 2018.
- "Original Sin." In The Major Writings of Jonathan Edwards: A Reader's Guide, pgs 153-74. Edited by Nathan Finn and Jeremy Kimble. Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2017.
- "The Ministerial Ideal in the Ordination Sermons of Jonathan Edwards: Four Theological Portraits." Themelios 38 (2013): 390-401.
- “A Brief History of Heaven in the Writings of Jonathan Edwards.” Calvin Theological Journal, 46.1 (April, 2011): 48-71.
- "Jonathan Edwards on Isaac Watts." Evangelical Theological Society, Providence, RI, November 16, 2017.
- "Anti-Revivalism: Three North American Approaches During the Second Great Awakening." Evangelical Theological Society, Atlanta, GA, November 17, 2015.
- “What is Christ to Me, if He is Not Mine?”: Andrew Croswell, Antinomianism, and the Gospel of Free Grace in the First Great Awakening." Evangelical Theological Society, San Diego, CA, November 21, 2014.
Research Interests - I would welcome working with doctoral students in these areas:
- Jonathan Edwards and the Edwardsean theological tradition
- The Great Awakenings in North America
- Baptist Studies related to the above topics
- The Evangelical Theological Society
- The Conference on Faith and History
- The American Society of Church History
- Family: Wife, Lisa, and two middle-school aged daughters, Audrey & Natalie
- Church Membership: Rock Creek Baptist Church, Crowley, Texas
- Guitarist – proud owner (and player) of a ‘77 Les Paul, a ‘79 silver anniversary Stratocaster, and a ’93 Taylor 512.
- Runner – Marathon (4:40); Half-Marathon (1:50:18); 10K (48:30); 5K (22:50)