School of Preaching
Southwestern Seminary’s School of Preaching is dedicated to training students in the art of text-driven preaching. As defined by Dean of the School of Preaching David Allen, text-driven preaching is expository preaching in its purest form, where the substance, structure, and spirit of the text drive the substance, structure, and spirit of the sermon. This means preaching the Word of God as inspired by the Spirit of God.
Led by Dr. David Allen, the School of Preaching’s five-member faculty has more than 200 years of combined preaching experience, and each brings a unique dynamic to the table, from linguistics and rhetoric to history and evangelistic preaching.
Meet Our Dean
Dean of the School of Preaching
- Distinguished Professor of Preaching
- Director of Center for Text Driven Preaching
- Missions experience in places like Mexico, Peru, the Philippines and England
- Spoken in Brazil, Germany, Nigeria, Canada, India, Kazakhstan, Zambia, Malaysia, and Cuba
- Author of The Extent of the Atonement: History and Critique, Hebrews in the New American Commentary Series, Lukan Authorship of Hebrews, 1-3 John: Fellowship in God’s Family in the “Preaching the Word” Series, and Preaching Tools: an Annotated Survey of Commentaries and Preaching Resources for Every Book of the Bible
- Contributor and editor of Whosoever Will: A Biblical-Theological Critique of Five-Point Calvinism, Text-Driven Preaching, The Return of Christ: a Premillennial Perspective, and Preach the Word: Essays on Biblical Preaching in Honor of Jerry Vines.
- Enjoys preaching, reading, playing chess and studying Civil War history
- Pastored churches for 21 years
Certificate in Preaching
Available to Master of Divinity students from the School of Theology, Fish School of Evangelism and Missions, and Havard School, this certificate provides training in preaching as a supplement to the M.Div. program.
Master of Theology in Preaching
Following the completion of the Master of Divinity, the Master of Theology (Th.M.) provides specialized training in the area of preaching, allowing for greater mastery of text-driven exposition.
Doctor of Ministry
The D.Min. degree is designed to enhance the practice of ministry for those already serving in positions of ministerial leadership. The program allows preachers of the Word to become better equipped in the art of text-driven preaching.
Doctor of Philosophy in Preaching
The Ph.D. in Preaching emphasizes both the theory and practice of preaching, raising up God-called men to not only preach the Word but equip the next generation of preachers.
“I love to teach at Southwestern because it gives me the opportunity to mold the next generation of godly preachers in pulpits around the world. These are young men and women who will go anywhere and take on any job for Christ and His kingdom.”David Allen