Chaplains carry the name of Jesus to all sectors of life, whether it be the battle field or the ball field, the operating room or the board room. Often, chaplains are the only spiritual voice in the lives of people who otherwise would never darken the door of a church. Southwestern Seminary has a rich legacy of training chaplains for ministry in any context.
Read stories of chaplains
- Billy Graham's "My Hope America" reaches football team
- Chaplain introduces President Obama to grieving families in West, Texas
- Chaplain counsels fallen firefighter’s grieving family, community
- Southwestern students vital to Texas Motor Speedway evangelism efforts
- Professor serves God and country
- Seminary chaplain selected as chaplain for local police department
- Chaplains offer real independence to those who fight for it
Chaplaincy Scholarship Fund
Military, First Responder, Prison, Hospital and Corporate Chaplains are among those who extend the reach of pastoral care to the front lines of the injured soul. The Chaplaincy Scholarship Fund is proud to support students studying to love and share the Gospel in the role of chaplain.
- The student must be a full-time student in the seminary at the Fort Worth Campus and enrolled in the M.Div. chaplaincy concentration.
- The student must demonstrate a clear call to ministry and be making normal progress toward graduation.
- The student must be a member of a Southern Baptist Church, be of sound moral character and possess an exceptional commitment to Christian ministry.
- Scholarship Deadlines:
- August 1 for Fall semesters
- December 1 for Spring semesters
- May 1 for summer terms
- The student must submit a personal statement.
Interested in training for chaplaincy?
Chaplaincy Concentration Courses
|Course Title||Course Number||Hours|
|The Chaplain Ministry||PASMN 4453||3|
|Biblical Counseling||PASMN 4323||3|
|Choose one of the following PASMN electives:||3|
|Conflict Ministry in the Church or||PASMN 4343 or|
|Corporate Chaplaincy or||PASMN 4463 or|
|Premarital and Marriage Counseling||PASMN 4533|
|Choose one of the following PASMN electives:||6|
|Practicum in Ministry or||PASMN 4406 or|
|Clinical Pastoral Care||PASMN 5486|