Payment Plans and Student Loans
A payment plan is available to spread out the tuition costs. For payment options, please contact Student Financial Services at 817-923-1921 ext. 2400 or visit https://swbts.edu/offices/student-financial-services/payment-options.
Southwestern does not participate in federal or state funded student aid programs involving loans or grants. However, Southwestern is eligible to recommend repayment deferments for most federal or state educational loans received in colleges and universities. Deferment applications may be obtained from the lender and taken to the Office of the Registrar for processing. For more details, contact the Registrar’s Office at 817.923-1921, ext. 2000, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sallie Mae Loans
Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary has a long history and heritage of encouraging students to pursue scholarship opportunities through the institution and external resources. Scholarship criteria and deadlines are available on SWBTS webpage. Once all scholarship opportunities have been exhausted students do have the option to apply for a “Sallie Mae Smart Option Student Loan.”
The maximum amount approved by SWBTS is the combined total of the students cost of tuition, fees, and up to $500 for books. The loan does not cover housing or any other educational or living expenses. Loan amounts can only be certified for one semester at a time.
If you have prayerfully considered the implications regarding a loan and choose to pursue the loan option, listed below are the steps:
- The student needs apply for a loan at www.salliemae.com
- After the application has been completed and the student has been approved to receive a loan, the next step will be to complete the Sallie Mae Loan Certification Document, and submit it to the Office of Financial Aid.
- Only after the Certification Request is submitted will the loan be reviewed and certified by a financial aid officer.
- Sallie Mae will then take two to three weeks to cut and mail the check to Southwestern.
- When the check arrives on campus, the Assistant Director will apply these funds to your tuition account. If you have allotted an amount for books, it will be released to you in the form of a check. If you need the book check mailed you will need to send an email to email@example.com requesting your check to be mailed and include the address.
Again, we urge you to exhaust all possible scholarship opportunities and gainful employment that may be available while in school. Paying back your loan may be a hindrance to the ministry in the future, and could prevent you from serving overseas with the IMB.